In 1952 the St Leonard’s Boys’ School was relocated from its original site on Baxters’ Road to its present location. The move facilitated its use as the pilot school in that historic experiment which sought to extend secondary education beyond the secondary school. Drawing students from such primary schools as Wesley Hall Boys, St Mary’s Boys, Roebuck Boys, Westbury and St. Stephen’s Boys, the School changed its status from an all-age elementary school to a non-selective school. This was only the first of several changes through which the school endeavoured to improve the quality of its service to the community.
In 1956, it was granted Secondary Modern status and extended its curriculum to include the Royal Society of Arts Examinations (Elementary Examinations). Formerly students were limited to the Barbados Secondary School Certificate.
By 1972, the school’s programme had been so successful that the school’s plant was extended in order to accommodate the new Secondary Programme. As a result of this development, the old shift system was discontinued and the curriculum was extended to embrace all the elements of a full secondary school’s programme.